Sunday, January 25, 2009

State of the Union: Part 6

Review your responses to the above questions. What sort of an illustrator are you?
One with lofty goals and aspirations, that are probably more achievable than I realize now, maybe. I think of myself primarily as a storyteller first, using illustration and animation to get my voice heard and hopefully having fun in the process. I think right now I'm really trying hard to find a comfortable working process and within this process a skill set that I'm continually sharpening. I'm also trying to learn as many ideas and techniques (traditional and digital) that may help me along the way.

What sort of career do you want to have?

One where I can switch work on both graphic novels and animation and hopefully because of the nature of my career I'll get to travel to places a little bit.
I care very much about West African stories and history so I'll probably be devoting my career to achieving some awareness of that material.I know for certain that I wouldn't mind earning my stripes in an animation/ production or video game studio for a while, but as soon as I feel confident enough, I'd like to start my own personal self directed projects. Eventually, when I am old and gray and somehow have the means I'd like to start a decent specialized Art school somewhere in Lagos.

Does your present body of work reflect your aspirations? Could it do so more strongly?
Right now going into my final semester, I feel I need a handful of highly polished finished illustrations to get my foot in the working world. I have some I consider usable, but not enough. I'm also unclear in deciding if I should make the subject matter range broader or more personal. Also it wouldn't hurt to finish the animation I'm working on soon, at least before graduation, so I can start sending clips off to studios.

List ten images/themes/techniques/subjects/formats that your portfolio needs in order to become more in line with your aspirations.
_Concept character illustrations (digital)
_Concept environment illustrations (digital)
_
More Illustrations involving a group of people interacting with an environment
_more loose quick studies of subjects like movement studies (traditional)
_a polished comic spread
_some handmade books?
_a z-brush beauty render sculpt of a character
_more color key studies of illustrations
_a couple of illustrations without scanned in textures.
_maybe more science fiction/fantasy themed illustrations (nothing kitschy I hope)

1 comment:

Amy Lowright said...

hey is it okay if the art show stuff isn't framed or matted or anything?