Thursday, February 5, 2009

Illustrator Research 10: John Buscema
















John Buscema is an American comic book artist born in New York in 1927. His work featured mostly during Marvel comics silver age of illustration in the 60s and 70s drawing major series such as Silver Surfer and The Avengers, Thor and the Fantastic Four among many. He also had a long 200 issue run on Conan the Barbarian. He was inducted into the Will Eisner Comic Book Hall of Fame in 2002. His brother Sal Buscema was also a successful comic book artist for Marvel.I first came in contact with his work with the book How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way. I borrowed it from a friend when I was a kid and never returned it (to my glee and shame) because I loved comics and the book taught you to draw the way I was interested in drawing at the time. When my dad (who is an art teacher), found out the drawings were done by his favorite comic book artist John Buscema he encouraged me to stick with the book and also told me about fun times he had reading about Thor and the Submariner in the Fantastic Four when comics still cost practically nothing. I studied the book over and over, because I loved it and sadly in Lagos at the time you simply couldnt find how to draw books. Back then I garnered most of the tricks of drawing human anatomy and perspective, but always skimmed over the inking parts, which is probably why I struggle with it today. I still have the book, and once in a while I enjoy flipping through it. Anyway John Buscema's work is here.

No comments: